I made a personal pledge to myself that 2016 would be the year that I use up materials and supplies that have been sitting in the dark recesses of my crafting stash. Thanks to this Apron #MakefulChallenge, I was able to use up long unused fabric paint—some bottles which had been sitting around for roughly a decade. Most of it was still good and off we went a-paintin’.
I’ve been on a geometric abstraction kick for a few months, creating dynamic artwork by randomly applying masking tape to canvas and painting at whim. So, naturally, I applied the same technique using the fabric paint on the apron. I only had these four colours to play with but I think they work well together. For the trim and ties, I used black fabric paint, but opted to try a ribbon wrapping technique around the neck tie.
The pocket was a challenge because I wanted it to stand out from the rest of the design without going over the top—also, I ran out of paint. I glued some spare shiny fabric over the front pocket and finished it off with this mod Art Deco-like ribbon.
I have not heat set the fabric paint yet, so time will tell how it holds up to setting and wear over time. But it was a fun way to spend a hot late summer afternoon.
- Fabric paint
- [acrylic paint + fabric medium]
- Sponge brushes
- Masking tape
- 3/4" mesh ribbon (neck tie)
- 1/4" printed grograin ribbon (pocket)
- Decoupage glue
- Polyester fabric